What is drop shipping?
Drop shipping is also known as Direct Despatch or Direct Delivery. This is a shipping method where the manufacturer of the product sends the item directly to the end customer where a third party has taken the order.
Increasingly popular shipping method
This method of fulfilment is becoming increasingly popular as it means no stock risk for retailers and the end customer receives their order more quickly. This is particularly important for personalized items where items can not be pre-made as they are made on a bespoke basis.
How does drop ship work?
The order is taken by the retailer on their eCommerce store or in their mail order and that order is sent to the supplier or dropshipper. The dropshipper sends the package directly to the customer
What are the advantages of dropshipping?
- Sell and send personalized products directly to your customers
- No stock risk for the retailer – as the retailer is not bringing stock into warehouse there are no stock or warehousing charges
- Short lead times on Personalized items – it is, obviously, quicker to send bespoke items directly from the manufacturer
- No minimum order – quite often there are minimum order quantities or values when buying in stock. As you are not bringing in stock there is no minimum!
- Flexible – this method of shipping makes your business more flexible. You don’t have to worry about getting the product to your customer. You can offer as many lines as you want of drop ship items without effecting your stock levels
- Highly scalable – as you aren’t fulfilling every order, it is relatively easy to scale up your product range.
What are the disadvantages of dropshipping?
- Competition – as it is so easy to get these items on sale it can mean that there are other companies selling the same item. This is why personalized items are good as there are fewer companies able to take personalization on their eCommerce stores.
- Lower margins – as the stock risk moves from the retailer to the manufacturer costs per unit tend to be a little higher. However, as long as you keep a close eye on this and price accordingly this can be offset.
Map Marketing Drop Ship Service
We manufacture and drop ship our products all over the world. Click on the button below to see our range of personalizable map gifts that can be drop shipped directly to your customers.
If you are interested in drop shipping personalized items or you would just like to have a no commitment discussion about how we could work together give us a call on 1-866-589-0274 (US) or 01837 811313 (UK)
or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you as soon as possible.